Ah, Helsinki. I love you.
When I moved back to Helsinki as a 15-year-old, I wasn’t too happy about it. But during the years, I’ve grown a deep love for this place that is after all my hometown, even when my heart keeps dragging me out of here. But the good thing about that is that it’s always such a good feeling to be back here. This time even more than usual, maybe because summer is just around the corner, and because I know after summer I’ll be leaving for a longer while.
Last weekend has been the first real summer weekend. That one weekend when it’s warm enough for summer clothes for the first time, there are all sorts of events and happenings in town, and everyone seems to be crawling out of their nests to enjoy the sun.
There are so many events happening every weekend in Helsinki during summer, and that’s one of the best things about this city. It just comes to life when the weather gets better. Last weekend alone, there was (at least!) the Marimekko summer show, the Arabia street festival, Kallio Kukkii picnic, the Hanami celebration, restaurant day, and a few concerts. Next weekend it’s Naisten Kymppi run, the World in a Village festival, latin parties, Käpylä street celebrations, and what else. I’m scrolling through the Focebook Local app, and there are just so many things happening every day that it’s hard to pick anything. A very positive problem, I’d say.
You many not want to spend as much time as I do on scrolling that app though, so I thought I would gather a list of some of what I judge to be the best events to come this week, as well as some events happening regularly all summer long. If you find this useful, I could do a similar post from time to time!
Events all summer long:
- Terazza Latina: latin music and summer vibes every Wednesday night at Apollo Terrace Bar.
- Hepuli-klubi: improvisation comedy in Finnish at Teerenpeli every Wednesday night. Free entry.
- Tomato Thursday: every Thursday at Think Corner, a common work session to destroy your to-do list using the pomodoro technique. There are four sessions of two hours from 8 am to 5 pm, and you commit to one session at a time to ensure maximum productivity for all. The event is in Finnish, but as everyone is doing their own thing, you don’t need to speak Finnish.
- La Vacanza: cocktails, a DJ and sunset in Katajanokka every Thursday night at Holiday.
- Loopin kesä:brunches and other events all summer long at Wastefood Restaurant Loop.
- Silent Sundays at HAM: as a part of the current exhibition, Helsinki Art Museum organises events on the last Sunday of every month. Read more about it on the event, as the program changes each month.
- Outdoor flea market at Aleksis Kiven katu every Sunday.
- Oopperasalsat: free salsa every Sunday night behind the national opera. Super fun an relaxed atmosphere.
- Afro Sunday: African and Afro-Carribean music every Sunday night at Apollo Terrace Bar. Next one is 26.5. and it’s the World VIllage Festival ending party.
- Sundays are made for bingo: bingo every other Sunday at G21.
Events this week:
- Sour Spring Break: the first ever sour beer festival in the Nordics at Korjaamo on 24.5.
- Milkshake club: r’n’b club with summer vibes every other Friday all summer at Holiday. next one 24.5.
- Fiesta Latina World Village Festival preparty: latin music all night long Friday 24.5. to get in the mood for the World Village Festival on the weekend.
- World Village Festival 2019: Saturday and Sunday 25.-26.5. the world gathers in the city center of Helsinki for free events such as movies, art and lectures, as well as all sorts of foods and products from all over the world.
- Saving the bees and a bit of world with them: a lecture at Think Corner on 25.5.
- Käpylä Village Festival: a celebration on the streets of Käpylä, music, flea markets, food, relaxed vibes on Saturday 25.5.
- Cleaning Day at Suvilahti: open flea market on 25.5. at Suvilahti.
- Loopin RunoBrunssi: a themed brunch at Wastefood Restaurant Loop, where you get to have a personal poem made for you on the spot by a poet while enjoying the food. It’s arganised on three Saturdays, two of which are left 25.5. and 8.6.
- Beyoncé Homecoming Party: the name says it all, B-Side Bar 25.5.
- Uptown Helsinki World Village Afterparty: the official afterparty of World Village Festival on 25.5. at On The Rocks.
- Loop’s Sauna Brunch: food and sauna organised by Wastefood Restaurant Loop and Lähteen Sauna in Lapinlahti on 26.5.
- Helsinki Puppy Parade: 26.5. Kaivopuisto will be the most adorable place to be.
- Stop, Drop and Recharge: mediatation workshop Sunday night 26.5. at Rupla.
3 thoughts on “Week 21: what’s happening in Helsinki this week”
Great post 🙂
Itse ootan eniten 12.6. Helsinkipäivän konserttia !
Aurinkoista kesää sulle! 💛
Oli vitsi, Helsinki-päivä on ihana 😍😍